Friday, August 21, 2015

EXAMS IN UOL (Part 3)

That moment when i clicked in to view my results.....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I wasn't really ready to see my results because i was afraid of seeing the same thing again - disappointment. Last year i scored badly for all my modules.
Year 2 modules:
Principles of Banking and Finance - 43 (My most confident subject got 43...)
Corporate Finance - 55
Principles of Accounting - 55
Microeconomics - 37 (Failed, i knew i wasn't gonna do well but i really wasn't expecting a FAIL)

You need 40 to pass.

That sums up my horrible exam experience with UOL last year. So this year i really pushed myself to study hard. I changed my learning and studying techniques. 

Cut short, my marks for this year are:

Financial Intermediation: 75
Investment Management: 70
Microeconomics: 74 (retake)

I got all first class grades!

Don't believe? Ok here's the proof!

haha!

Side note: I'm selling my FI written essay notes. Sold to anyone who wants to read it. Please scroll to bottom to get more info. 


Pretty much sums up my pleasantly shocking exam experience this time. I had all As! That huge jump of my grades was unbelievable. I'm so happy right now! Overjoyed. I screamed at 1.30am when i saw the result and my whole family came over to check. Like, is this real? 

So in this part of the post, for those who don't want to give up so easily just because u scored badly first time, pay attention! I'm sharing some of the studying tips. (Please don't follow if its not suitable for you.). Actually just one tip la, or two:


KNOW WHAT YOU ARE STUDYING. You must understand every concept, every detail (especially microeconomics or math related modules) and every other possible questions that you may ask yourself.

Lastly practice doing. For essay writing questions, keep practising on finishing within the time limit. We tend to write too much on one question and have no time for other questions. I practised a total of about 30 completed FI essays before my exam day. So basically when i went into the exam hall, it  was just like i was practising at home. At ease and at calm.

Theory (qualitative) questions need an introduction, body and conclusion. I think this is pretty standard when you need to write an essay. Make sure you have good introduction to summarise what u are going to talk about. Consult the UK revision lecturer if you can write an essay format using passive style (i.e. writing 'i' 'we' in the essay). Your body will need evidence/ readings you read from essential readings and subject guide. Lastly your conclusion must answer the question. Essay should not be about how much you memorise. It should be about using what your studies and answering the question. I did this for my FI and i got 75. Although not the highest, but it is still the basic u need to do if u are aiming for an A.

For quantitative questions, our examiner don't like to repeat questions from past year paper. They always come with new questions that u don't see before but with the same concept. So u need to know your concept very well (actually this applies to qualitative questions too) and be able to twist around the concept and apply on the question. Not easy for me because i am not a Math person but definitely fun for me when i practise doing quantitative qns.

VOICE RECORD YOUR LECTURE. It works for me. Whenever I'm studying something that i got stuck with, i listen back to the lecture and see if i miss out anything.


Where is the exam venue held?
In my previous post on UOL, i mentioned that the final exam period is in MAY. Your exam venue will be in SINGAPORE EXPO HALL. Every single student studying the same subject as you will be taking the paper. Rows and rows of chairs and tables will be neatly organised in the big EXPO hall. Everyone will be doing their super last minute memorisation/study.


Prelim Exam
There are prelim exams in SIM before your final exam. Prelim exams are usually held in end of February to Mid March. About two months before your final exam starts. Venue is SIM grand hall. The top level in SIM.

Is it compulsory to go for prelim? NO. i didn't attend prelim papers. I don't find it useful, especially when the questions asked in prelim are the recycled past year exam questions. You will get access to all these past year papers in your SIMCONNECT or VLE as well. So no difference. It only gives you a preview of an exam atmosphere. However, still try to attend if it is your first time.


Revision
Good to know that you won't be alone for revision. SIM and London give you revision before your exam! We call the SIM revision as the local revision where your lecturer give u the class. The London Revision is Overseas UK revision where the lecturers from London will fly to Singapore to give u the revision. 

UK revision usually starts in March to April. Local revision starts in April. You also choose your UK revision timetable! The UK one is a 2 day revision, 6 hours a day. The local one is also 3 hours revision, for 2 days too. 

UK revision really helps because those lecturers are usually the ones marking your exam paper! They also know the subject really well and can give you a clearer explanation than some local lecturers (in my opinion). My CF UK professor was freaking awesome. She taught me all the topics within 2 days, 6 hours a day, and she made me understand the whole freaking subject. She just use 12 hours guys!!! If she is my local lecturer, i am very sure i could get an A. 

Ok i will end it here. Hope this post helps. Don't give up, not yet!
"Be persistent and you will get it. Be consistent and you have it." 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update!

Hi guys! I'm coming back for an update! I think it will be nice to update what happened after i received my results. So about a month ago, I received an email from school that I was invited to attend the Achiever's Event! I was selected to be one of the 17 students to receive an commendation award. This award is for students who are getting First Class Honour Results and are expected to get a First Class Honour next year. Yeap yeap. I'm one of them :DDDDD. hahahahaha.

I was very excited & shocked when i saw the invitation. I quickly called my boyfriend to tell him. My boyfriend was also invited to the Event because he is one of the First Class Honour holder. haha. So both of us attended it.

I was just a little disappointed that i didn't receive a Topper email for FI. lol i thought maybe perhaps i might be the top for FI in my school. But well the topper isn't just from Singapore but the whole world. Then ok lor, confirm not me already. It's okay.

I only had a few photos.

These are all the first class honour holder for 2015. My boyfriend is in the front middle section (giggles*) 

video
And me receiving my award. I thought they might give me cash or at least some vouchers but no :( .... I received a butter knife from them. lol. Fortunately, there is a certificate for me. I can put it in my portfolio now. lol. sigh... Better if got cash.. LOL. Don't laugh at my video btw. I was called by my proper English name but the Emcee read it a little wrongly. its okay... (directly translated from Chinese.) 

Hope you guys will work hard in UOL and achieve something great too! 

P/S: If you are curious in anything and if i can help, i will answer your question! feel free to email me at yuenman25@hotmail.com or simply comment down below! If you're interested in buying my written essay notes for FI, please email me. Good luck! 

66 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    Do you have any recommendations for the following modules or heard any from your circle of friends:
    ISORG,
    FM
    MSM?

    Would greatly appreciate your help!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, im taking MSM this coming term. Haha. Idk about FM and isorg, u can go to the vle portal, download their subject guide and past yr papers to see if u like the format and materials being studied inside. :) I saw FM's exam qns, i think its quite managable.

      Delete
  3. Hi, may i know who is your FI lecturer? Or who do you recommend? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, its lilibeth :) . Since i only took her lesson, i can't recommend u who is better haha. I wrote my own notes for the exam actually. Different from all the lecturers.

      Delete
    2. Ohh thanks! :) I saw from your prev post that you are selling your own FI notes. Is it still available?

      Delete
    3. Hi, yes still available. It will include stuff from external readings like diagrams and quotes. I use them for my FI exam! They are written in essay format so u can pick and copy paste whichever paragraphs u think is suitable for that qns ask. These are what the examiners are looking for. PM me if you're keen. yuenman25@hotmail.com :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Kacey, congrats on your outstanding results! Just a question, I'll be taking CF and Micro this upcoming year, any intro to which lecturers are good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank u :). I had Esther for CF but she was like a bullet train. Talked too fast. haha. Not sure about CF but the paper is managable. Micro - definitely recommend Derek Hui. He is very clear and stresses on important points.

      Delete
  5. Hi, can I ask if you have esther's email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, sorry i don't have. u can ask her during her class? o.o

      Delete
  6. Hi, Kacey. congrats on your achievement and your blog is very inspiring. I am second year student, can you give me some tips on PBF? I read your blog and say it is not recommended to only copy paste. Does it mean we should use our own words? hope to see your reply soon. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for ur compliment :). I took PBF last year thinking it was super easy because the questions asked were fairly easy (asked u bank run, securitization etc). So i memorised the subject guide & gave wrote them in the ans. End up i only got 43.

      So, no. if u wanna score. NO COPY PASTE FROM SUBJECT GUIDE. The examiner would want u to write MORE out of the subject guide. For eg the related news articles and your opinions. Its the best to phrase the words in your own words too. If u use google & just searched say 'bank run', u will find alot of info on that. Same goes to credit risk & other topics that u r studying.

      If ur math is better, attempt the math qns so u r only answering 1 theory qns in ur paper.

      Delete
  7. Hi can I ask if it is possible to go to a local uni like smu if u achieve a first class honors in any bachelor from sim-uol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i think its possible :) I was thinking about getting a master in the local uni if i get a first class honour in uol! But I'm not totally sure. better for u to call and check :)

      Delete
  8. Hi from what you mentioned,there are no tutorials.Then who can the students approach if they have doubts after the lectures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, either u ask the lecturer after the class or during the lecture break time. At most he/she will attend to u a maximum 10 minutes only. Sometimes the lecturer will provide the class with their email so u can contact them if u have any questions :)

      Delete
    2. Hello!I would like to know more about the culture there:).How are the students and lecturers like?Are the exams manageable?Thank you!
      Oh and just sth I have always been lost.Do u mind sharing ur studying techniques?

      Delete
    3. Hi, our lecturers are all very nice, at least for the lecturers that taught me. But because we don't have lessons in classroom environment style, we won't get to make a lot of friends in UOL (unless u are active in CCA and join the orientation beforehand). Usually we spread our seats around in lecture hall, like spacing ourselves out. Unless u purposely go and sit beside someone and start a conversation, but i hardly see people doing that.

      The best time to make friends is when everyone is still new in the school.

      Exams are manageable if you want just a pass :) . If you want a second upper or first class, u need to put extra efforts to do further readings on your own.

      I think my studying techniques are written in this post already! haha. Basically i record my lecture because i may understand a concept that day but 2 months later i will forget about the whole thing. So i need to listen back to what the lecturer say.

      Delete
    4. Hey, may i know if you have any job offers after you graduate from SIM-UOL? And where are you working now currently?

      Delete
  9. Is it easy to get first class honour for business and management?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not easy, especially when you have a lot of theory modules. But if you are very smart & can think quickly on spot during exam, then u might be able to get first class even if you don't study hard. haha. To get first class is not super difficult too. Only need 5As. Just practise your questions everyday and u will be fine :).

      Delete
  10. Hi there! You talked about failing a module but you still managed to get a first class degree placement. How does that work? Is there a max no. Of modules that u are "allowed" to fail if you want your first class deg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as long as u get 5 As, u r a first class honour holder. 5As or 4As with a aggregate score of 590 i think. So if u fail, it doesnt mean u won't get first class. :) But if u keep on failing and failing, then in that case i am not sure too. haha.

      Delete
  11. Hello, chanced upon your blog and I picked up a lot of tips, thanks! I'm currently in UOL as well and having my yr 1 exams now. I'm exempted for 2.5 credit modules, but if I still want to get a first class honours, do I have to get 5As as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U need to get 5As, must be the full unit module :). Like the core subject of ur course and the elementary modules. for example, for me, i took Micro, FI, IM, MSM, EBIZ, ESAP. If i get 5As from these subjects, then i will get a first class. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi, just checking if answers are given for past years exam papers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi~ What u see under the commentaries is what u get already. Usually got quantitative question, the steps and answer is given. but for qualitative questions (theory kind), only got comments on the questions. :) but ur lecturer might have gone thru the pyp with u all in class too!

      Delete
  13. If i have 12 full units, does it mean i will take 4 each year and complete in 3 years? Is 1 unit equivalent to 1 module? So I will take 4 papers each year, each paper for 1 module? Thanks for replying!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u r 3 year path is it? u can choose a minimum of 2 subjects a year or a maximum of 5 subjects a year. does not necessarily need 4 each year. but 4 each year will be the ideal situation. if u say u have 12 full units, then yes there are 12 subjects. if it is 1 half unit, then u need to take another half unit to make it one full unit (i.e. one subject).

      hope i answered ur qns!

      Delete
    2. So its 4 papers a year? I'm from a jc & i am applying for business & management. Very afraid that i wont be able to cope or do well :( Seems like it isn't going to be easy getting help from lecturers either :( where do you go to clarify your doubts? And additional readings as in from google? thank you! :D

      Delete
  14. Wow! Congrats on your first class grades! I wish I've read your posts about UOL earlier cause it's really useful and helpful! So you will be graduating next year? Can I check what modules you've taken in each year?

    I am in Accounting and Finance track. As I have passed my bridging courses last year, I went on to study my Year 2 modules (POA, PBF, Mangerial Econs and MSM) and I just finished my exams in May 2016. (I hope I can pass! Omg~)

    Thanks for the posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took pbf, poa, cf and micro. Then failed micro, so i extended one year in school. following year (last year) is micro retake, FI and IM. this year is esap ebiz and msm. :) So i took msm this year too. haha

      msm paper was ok right? hope u did well!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply! :> I see and yeah, I think MSM actually still do-able but I don't have much confidence in Managerial Econs! I think even if I pass all four modules this year, it'll probably be tough to get all 5As next year :<

      Delete
  15. Hi! I was offered in UOL accountancy and finance. Im still in the midst of contemplating whether to accept the offer or not. because firstly, i have very limited knowledge on accountancy and finance. In fact i never thought that i would have entered this course in the first place. And secondly, i was worried about the difficulty level when we are studying at UOL. any advice how i should go about deciding and reviewing the offer given?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What r ur other offers? I didnt have any prior knowledge related to banking & financing before i enter into uol. The things there are actually quite understandable. May sound tough but is actually quite common sense once u get the concept.

      I would say it is not difficult but if u want to score well, it is difficult because it requires much more effort and reading on ur own (cannot solely depend on lectures). By difficult i mean more readings and if the further readings make u more confuse then u need more readings to clarify ur own doubts.

      If u have other better universities such as NUS or SMU offering then of cuz would be better.

      Delete
  16. Hi, i was wondering have you graduated from SIM? what's your future plan after graduation?Or rather have you joined the workforce yet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished my last exam for uni :) havent start hunting for a job !

      Delete
  17. Hi there! I chanced upon your blog as i was searching for people who experienced UOL in SIM. One of my friend told me that if you fail any given one module, you'll lose your "honours" title at the end of 3 years. Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Hmm i dont think the honours title will be removed. I failed one module too. When i get my result in this August i will update on the blog. haha.

      Delete
  18. Is orientation awkward?I read some online forum mentioning it to be awkward and not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i didn't attend the orientation! haha.

      Delete
  19. Also,what are the further readings u refering to in ur reccomendation to read it to get first class honours?Is it advisable to study in the school after lessons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Further readings mean u google the information urself to get more information about the topic that you are studying, because what the teacher teaches is very basic stuff only, especially for Theory modules. It can also be an external readings where u search about the information on the book title/ website link that your subject guide will provide for u.

      U can study in school after lessons! there is no problem to that at all. Study with friends or in the library (up to you) :)

      Delete
  20. Thanks!!:) I am really worried as I didnt do well for my As.Is there any advice for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mix with hardworking friends, try to start revising early (like December time u should be revising alr). Anything dunno dont be shy just ask the lecturer. Email him or ask him in class. haha. read more materials especially for theory modules!

      Delete
  21. Hi! Do you know which timeslots are the most popular ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are the morning and afternoon sessions :) .

      Delete
  22. Hi there! Are you still selling your FI notes?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, may I ask you a pbf question?
    How does a contractual savings institutions performs loans as intermediary? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. i throw back to the teacher already. haha. u can ask ur lecturer!

      Delete
  24. Hiiya! Im a Biz & Mgt student! Is ESAP, EBIZ, MSM, ME a good combination? Im kind of stuck between ME and MA for my Year 2 haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whats ME? MA is mgt accounting right? haha as long as u can deal with theory and math then u r fine becuz esap and ebiz all theory, msm all math. haha

      Delete
  25. Hi Kacey!

    Wanna know what is your class number for Derek Hui's class for Micro?

    Thanks!

    Regards
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi i actually didnt attend derek hui's class. i view his recorded lecture videos only. I opt for self-study during my micro retake :). If i am not wrong though... it is L42?

      Delete
  26. Hi Kacey!

    Alright. Thank you!

    Wanna ask where did you go to view his recorded lecture?:)

    Regards
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean Derek Hui's recorded lecture!

      Delete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Kacey, I'm in accounting and finance course. May I know if its okay if I'm not getting any textbooks and just study th lecture notes and subject guide for exams?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya. Don't buy textbooks also can. But if u want to score higher , the textbooks will help u. U can borrow from library and photocopy it. Dun need to buy waste money.

      Delete
  29. Hi kacey, do u still have your financial intermediation notes? if so, are u willing to sell it to me? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please email me thanks . :) under contact me tab.

      Delete
  30. Hi, do you still have your Investment Management notes? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sorry I don't sell IM notes :)

      Delete
  31. hi kacey,whats th most annoying effective way to understand econs graph?cuz i realised that im always stuck at graphs when im doing th subject guide questions. thanks

    ReplyDelete